Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Egg Salad on Italian Baguette


Recipe: Egg Salad with Pickled Celery // Smitten Kitchen
Bread Recipe: Italian Baguette // Local Breads Cookbook from Bread Alone
Rating:

I had a good time baking the bread. It was the first recipe that I've tried from this cookbook, and I'd say it was a success. I didn't use the bread machine! I did use my stand mixer to knead it, though. Even with an extra 10 minutes kneading, I never accomplished the proper "windowpane" elasticity. I moved ahead with the recipe though, because I was afraid of over-kneading it.

After meticulously following all directions, I accidentally baked it for an extra ten minutes. When the smoke alarm wouldn't stop going off, I should have taken the hint. The bottom was burned, so you can see I cut it off.

Deb's egg salad is tasty. I doubled the recipe, because who makes egg salad with only 4 eggs? I need leftovers. Mine had too much mayonnaise because I got tired of measuring. But it's still tasty. I added dry dill and skipped the salt at the end. The mustard, shallots and celery were excellent. A very hard-earned and pleasing lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment