Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Bagels




Recipe: Egg Bagels // The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook (page 88)
Rating:

Made the dough in my beloved bread machine. Seth and I shaped them, then boiled and they puffed up HUGE. They immediately shriveled again when we put them on the baking pan. I was discouraged, but they puffed up again a little when baked. You can see they look a little wrinkly in the photo. I'm not sure how to fix this.

Ours never sunk in the boiling water, so perhaps we let them rise too long. In any case, they tasted just fine. The crust was crispy and the inside soft just the way a bagel should be. One or two smaller bagels did not seem to be completely cooked through.

Serious Eats recommends adding malt syrup during the boiling process, so maybe we need to try that next time.

Also, I would like to try a with a cinnamon sugar topping!

No comments:

Post a Comment